Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Living Health with an Injury

      I have been anxiously awaiting the opening of a new gym in my area. They opened last week but my crazy schedule didn't allow me to go until yesterday. But over the weekend my left foot started to hurt and by yesterday, the pain was immense. I skipped the gym time and took it easy instead. Ibuprofen and rest seemed like the best course of action. Last night, as I was grading 3rd grade state exams, the pain made it hard to concentrate on the students's answers. I decided that if I was still in pain this morning, it was time to visit my favorite orthopedic office's urgent care center.

      Since the title of this is Living Healthy with an Injury, I can assume, you know I went to the ortho doc this morning. At age 54, there was definitely arthritis floating around my foot, but also a slight stress fracture. No gym for me for a while! So what does one do to stay healthy when one is injured?

      For me, it started with the doctor. A surgical boot for my foot and prescription rub-on pain relief will help with daily activities that I have to do. The extra support the boot provided was amazing! Once my foot got over being poked, prodded and x-rayed, the pain was less in the boot. My foot was stabilized. The rub-on pain meds helped even more. But I still can't hit the treadmill or do squats while my foot is healing. So?

     Next I dealt with my diet. I eat pretty well, but the extra night work of grading papers has made eating fast food too easy. In order for my body to heal properly, I need to make every bite truly count. So I spent time today cooking several kinds of healthy foods that I can grab and go easily. Lots of protein, dairy, and veggies were involved since my bones need to heal. My son helped me with things that seemed hard to do while my foot was achy.

      Exercise still needs to be some part of my routine, so I grabbed some hand weights and moved them by my chair. It may not be wise to stand and use them, but I can modify some movements to a seated position. I have also checked out chair exercises to do for a few weeks. I may need to be seated more, but I don't have to be still!

      Evaluating my schedule came next. I cannot simply go and do all that I might normally do. Resting the injury isn't just a suggestion, it is necessary for quicker healing. Tonight I will take my daughter to the grocery store as I do weekly. But I will sit in the car while she shops for both of us. I don't need to go in and walk on my foot. I might even bring a book in the car and read! Finding time to read is always tough on my schedule.

     Finally, I will work to maintain a positive attitude. When we are genuinely happy our brain releases dopamine and serotonin. Dopamine is also the chemical used in your body to reduce pain. So when you doing things that make you happy, you are also lessening the pain your body feels. When your body feels pain, it doesn't heal itself as well. So being happy (genuinely at peace and content) brings an increase in healing.

      It is possible to live healthy even with an injury or a chronic illness. You focus on what you can do and find peace and joy in those things. Eat well. Drink lots of water! Don't allow an injury to cripple your healthy living. Use it to improve your overall health instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment